6.30.2010

Toy Story

So Robin and I went to watch Toy Story 3 the other night. It was, as Pixar usually is, excellent. Not too many laughs, but quite a few "frog in your throat" moments. I don't know if any Pixar will ever live up to Up in my mind, but I can still enjoy them quite a bit.

The statements that the movie made about community and togetherness were by far the strongest part, to me. There is a part when it looks like they are all about to be incinerated. As they are slowly moving toward this huge ball of fire, one by one they begin to reach out to eachother. One by one they join hands and turn to face their inevitable death. The poignancy of the moment is clearly that, though they will soon die, they will at least face it bravely with those that they love and hold dear.

From that point of the movie on, it seems clear that the characters have learned an important lesson. It doesn't matter what happens in life, what matters is who they are surrounded by. It matters more whose hand you are holding than where you are holding it. For life to be good, the community must exist. It is always my hope that I won't care so much where I am in life, or what I am doing or how much money sits in my bank account, but that I enjoy those around me, and that I choose to hold onto them rather than anything else. See, the toys didn't start to regret what kind of car they drove, or what kind of vacation they took or house they lived in. All they cared about was embracing community for that last five minutes.

Sometimes I think life would be more fully lived if it was always in the direct threat of death. But the problem is that it might be a little less genuine then. The real question comes into our lives when they are good. Will we choose to hold those people close, or will we choose to build up our 401k for a rainy day? On that rainy day, will we really care as much how much we have, or who we have it with?

1 comment:

Robin said...

What a sweet post! I'm glad that I'll be holding your hand in the end. Hopefully we won't be faced with big fire ball!