3.23.2009

Rufus. The dog.

I have spent the last month and a half training this crazy dog we got. They told us he is Irish Setter and Husky mix, but really he doesn't look like either. We think he may be German Shepherd, Husky and Lab mixed. One third of each... jk.

So we have a few tricks he is getting pretty good at. He knows how to go to his crate when we say "crate time." He knows he better make his way to me if I tell him to "come," he knows to park it when I say "sit" and go the rest of the way when I tell him to "lay down." The jury is out on whether he knows what I mean when I say "stay." But the fact is he does stay for a little bit, so maybe he does. I want to teach him to bring me an old tshirt of mine when I say "Chemistry power" because that is what the shirt says. I want to work on playing dead, roll over and fetch.

He was pretty easy to house train, but getting him to like that crate was such a pain. He howled and barely let us sleep those first couple nights. It was a battle of wills. We almost lost, but thankfully we prevailed over a sick, almost 4 month old puppy. No insight in this post, just a little web-journal this time around. Maybe I'll feel like posting controversy soon...

1 comment:

Grant said...

If his breed is divided in thirds, there is a really good chance one third is wolf. It's the only kind that has ever been proven to be mixed equally with two other types of dog (husky and wild northern pack dog).