8.12.2008

Late Summer Cleaning...

Since we decided a couple weeks ago to kick all our stuff to the curb and leave it behind, I have had to do quite a bit of clean-up. The first thing I decided to clean up was one of my favorite things, my book collection. I went to my shelf and grabbed all the books that I either never read and never intended to, or all the books that I simply question why I had them in the first place. Those books were all placed in a pile near my desk.

I looked at the book-shelf and realized that I still had way to many. I can imagine a bit how Gideon felt (God I really need all those books...). So I started to separate the pile between books that I absolutely did not want to give up and those that I might be ok giving up. This divided it about in half again. I now have a much more manageable stack of books to keep, including Greek and Hebrew books, theology and some old favorites, namely CS Lewis. So now I am trying to get rid of all these old books somehow. I have listed about half of my disposable books on amazon, and am currently selling a few a day. This is nice because I am making money back on them. Some of the books simply are not worth selling, I wouldn't make any profit after shipping etc. So those I am giving away.

Yesterday, I got into a really crazy mood for some reason. I started just going through my closet and doing something similar. Then I found an old box of things I really like, and did something similar. Now I am looking for other things in my life that I can do that with. It is really freeing, to be honest. I still have some things that I really love and don't want to part with, but I think I have said to myself that I will not be owned by stuff. There are quite a few things that will be difficult to part with, but I think one of the major reasons we decided to do this is that we wanted to not be consumers. Ironically, it led to us having to buy new furniture when we moved, but I think this is more in a utility way, as in, people need furniture to live. So anyway, this is just the latest twist in our moving saga, hopefully it will continue to be fun and unexpected.

No comments: