3.20.2010

Sigh

Sometimes that is simply all I can do. I am, like anyone else, of the opinion that I am right more often than not. I believe that my personal political preferences are more ethical and that they reflect biblical values more than those that I disagree with. I'm still not alone there. But can we all be right? Of course not.

So should we all just shut up about it? Not mention our disagreements? I think not. The problem is not that we argue, but how we argue. Have you ever argued with someone and regardless of how right you are or what you say, they refuse to concede a point? I have been that person, and they really don't learn. But if we are ever to make progress, if we are ever going to get beyond stupid partisanship, we all have to enter discussions with open minds, and more importantly humble opinions of ourselves.

Why is it so frustrating to try to discuss important issues with people who will not listen? I think it is an underlying superiority expressed. It is a thought process that says that you are not as intelligent as me, so I will not listen to anything you say. It is usually accompanied by some condescension, and usually leads to a fair amount of rage.

The funny thing about it is that some of the smartest people I have ever known were some of my seminary professors. Dr. Sands, Dr. Olson, Dr. Tucker, Dr. Foster, Dr. Gregory, Dr. Gloer, and on and on. And when someone disagreed with those guys, they patiently listened, offered their thoughts, and validated the other person's point of view. I believe that those men were so smart because they refused to dismiss people based on those people disagreeing with them. Since graduating, I have thought a lot about this. It is my goal to emulate those brilliant profs of mine, and though I am most of the time very stubborn and believe I am right, I have to think I'm getting better.

*Edit*
This is further exacerbated because the guy I'm thinking of today compared "nigger" to "teabagger" saying that they were equally offensive. Then when everyone said that clearly the former was much more offensive, he refused to recant. White people should never pretend that they understand the deep offense that that word causes.

No comments: