5.19.2010

31

This friend of mine with a scar on his face and white hair on his head looked me in the eyes and I could see his welling up with tears. Beneath his rough, callous exterior (and I'm referring to personality) there were/are some deep hurts that he is just now coming to terms with. And as he was talking to me today, he told me that it had been 31 years since he took communion/lord's supper/eucharist at a church. And he took it at my church. I honestly don't think it has much to do with me or anything spectacular our church has done, but something spectacular that God has done in this man.

The deep symbolism of communion effects us all, whether we always notice or admit it or not. At our church my friend was reminded that his sustenance comes from the body and blood of Jesus, beaten and spilled on that Roman cross so long ago. And as he was telling me that, I was incredibly humbled by all of it.

There are tons of times when I wonder if I'm the right person for the job, or if I'm in the right job for my person, but times like today I know for a fact that God is the right God for redemption. And whether I'm the only person capable of doing whatever task, I don't know, but I do know that I can't help but want to be involved in those incredible times. I choose to be involved, and I trust that God will help me to do it well.

No comments: