5.11.2010

Where did we go wrong?

I was reading the twitter (vomit) of the pastor of the church that I grew up in. There were several tweets (washing my hands) about how people should be inviting people to this or that event or service at church. I just couldn't help shuddering at the thought. Then I ranted to my friend Nate for twenty minutes or so. Of course, my less critical friends probably think I am just overly critical, but I think this movement in our churches underlies a very dangerous theology of the church.

When did the church make people come to it? Isn't one of the key verbs in Jesus' commands to his followers "GO!"? Why did we morph that into "invite"? Because it is easy. Because we don't have to expect greatness from our people. Because that is the path away from discipleship and back to pharisees and church as institution rather than church as movement.

If the church is a movement, then that movement should be happening in coffee shops and at homeless shelters. It should be permeating people's lives rather than just their Sundays. It should be something that is impossible to stop because it is impossible to nail down. At the moment, it is incredibly easy to nail down church and to stop it cold because it happens on Sunday mornings and to a lesser degree on Wednesday nights. That is what happens when we turn into "invite."

But if we change into "GO!" then we don't have to worry about Sunday's attendance. If we are being the church everywhere we go, then we will invariably run into people who might also catch it. And slowly and surely, the world might catch it.

So why is this bad theology? Because biblical theology says that Christians are always the church. Everywhere they go and everything they do is church. Anytime we gather and pray, that is church. Anytime we gather and watch football, that is church. Anytime we laugh together or cry together, that is church. "Invite" says that church happens at a specific time and place, but "GO!" says that church happens at all times and all places. It says that the kingdom of God expands better in places that are separate from religion and places that are not threatening to outsiders. We don't have to go to Somalia or Russia, we can go to Colfax or Park Avenue.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't the imperative in that passage "make disciples" not "go"? That would mean the command isn't to go but to make disciples?

Also, didn't Andrew invite others to come see Jesus? Was that a bad thing?

I know some of this is probably semantics, but I'm trying to see how inviting someone to something even an invent is bad theoogy? I mean, doesn't Jesus invite us to the banquet?

That being said, I didn't (and don't want to really) see the tweets from your former pastor and could really care or less...

How's the church? Praying for you guys when I think of ya.

Chris said...

Well, if we are looking at Matthew then the word for "go" is a participle (I believe) and I don't remember if they can be imperative or not... however, if the verb for "making disciples" is imperative then implicit there is the force that they had to "go," otherwise they would never reach "all nations."

Andrew invited others to go see Jesus, but after Jesus ascended then the church is his body on earth. So, to me, if the church is going, then people will not need to go anywhere to see Jesus' body on earth, they will see it come to them. Jesus invites us to the banquet, but the Sunday morning at church is not that.

the problem to me is an inherent laziness in inviting people to church rather than to, say, dinner at home, or coffee at Starbucks (or whichever trendy place is en vogue). I think the theology of inviting is bad because God himself went out... he became incarnate and didn't expect us to reach him on our own...

If Jesus were still around in the flesh, then I would agree inviting others to him would be great. But since he placed this responsibility on us, I think we have the obligation to meet people where they are, rather than expect them to come to us...

Church is good... it is hard, and busy, but I think that God is growing us and that he is using us... I hope. How is fatherhood?

Unknown said...

I see your point, and even think it's valid... On the whole, people are lazy and (for the most part) will "invite" someone to an event rather than incarnate the message of Jesus to their friends/neighbors.

Albeit, I would much rather us incarnate the message of Jesus no matter where we're at.... I think we agree there. Besides, the "go" in the passage is assumed on the disciples, it is part of our new nature, to be on the move/go doing what Jesus commanded, "make disciples" - which makes sense.

So, do you invite people to your church? Would you consider yourself lazy because you invited them? Would you consider those who attend to be lazy because they invited someone new as well? I assume not, rather wanting others to experience the love and care you have as part of your community, you can't help but invert them?

I digress...

Fatherhood is self-sacrifice. And apparently I needed a solid dose of that.

Chris said...

I actually don't invite people to our church. I guess I also need to make a distinction because I think on some rare occasions I'm ok with "inviting." I'm ok with it if it is a Christian in question, and if that person is looking for a church. I don't like the idea of taking people who are happy at their church and getting them into mine. I also think the gospel message is more effective outside the walls of church buildings.

I don't invite people to our church because it seems a little self-seeking to me. Obviously I look good and benefit in some people's eyes if our church grows quickly. My ultimate hope in our church is that people come and have their lives changed, and like the blind man can't help but tell people about it. We both digress, but I'm ok with that. I enjoy talking or blogging theology with you. It's good to have friends that disagree with me or at least challenge what I think.

I bet it is hard, but I know if anyone will be great parents it is you and Abby. If you want to hit the Rockies anytime let us know, we would love to see you.

Unknown said...

Chris, I love this! I really appreciate your views on Church.

Chris said...

Thanks Katie! Sorry about the moderation... I had someone come here and simply would not quit posting and became a nuisance. (someone I didn't know and felt the need to correct all my bad theology)