5.26.2010

Lost

I guess I am obligated to write my thoughts about the ending of Lost. It has been a cultural phenomenon for the past 6 years, and I have been addicted to it for about 5. I remember Robin and I started watching it on my laptop on the way to Oklahoma City, then we got our friends the Kinsers to watch a few episodes and they were hooked as well.

So like any massively popular finale, there were lovers and haters. I know a lot of people who did not like the last "Harry Potter" book, and those who hated the last "Dark Tower" book and pretty much anything that has been popular has had a somewhat controversial ending.

Now, obviously not all endings are created equal. I am typically a pretty loyal person to my entertainers. If they sell me early, I will generally like what they do late. But I do find it strange that people get so upset about endings. If it is too happy, they claim that it wasn't realistic. If it was overly realistic, they say it left a bad taste in their mouth. If it was depressing, they say nothing ends that poorly. As far as ending things, it seems you just can't win. Why is that? Why are people so negative about endings?

I think really good entertainment sucks people in. They think that they are part of the world that the authors, or directors, or creators, or whatever is their own world. It is really a tribute to the quality of the creativity of the artists. Then people start to think that the artist owes it to them to end it the way they like it.

To me, the main problem is that people can't just take things as they are. They can't appreciate things for what they are, they have to take them apart, explain why it wasn't perfect, and remember that one thing that was perfect, but in reality it wasn't. And so the beat goes on. Whatever is the band's newest album is never going to measure up, the guy's newest movie isn't up to part, his last painting wasn't as good as his early work. This is funny because I am perfectly capable of accepting people's art and things, but when it comes to theology I have to question everything... so I'm guilty too.

1 comment:

Robin said...

New post please!